Dakota Territory Beef Barley Bean Stew. An old fashioned beef stew, easy on stove or slow cooker preparation!
You Will Also Need:
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Large Onion, sliced
- 2-3 lbs. beef stew meat
- 8 cups beef broth (64oz)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 turnips or potatoes (2-3 cups), peeled & diced
- 8oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry or red wine
Here's What you Do:
- In a 6 or 8 - quart pot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Brown stew meat in 2-3 batches over medium high heat. not crowding the meat, and turning each piece once. Remove meat to a plate when browned.
- Add remaining butter. Lower heat and brown sliced onion for 5 minutes.
- Add meat back into pot. Stir in broth, water, and contents of stew mix.
- Bring to a simmer and cook covered for 2 hours.
- Add turnips or potatoes, mushrooms, sherry or red wine, salt, and pepper.
- Return to a simmer and cook covered for 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts: (as packaged)
Serving About 3 tbsp (26g)
Serving Per Container: 15
Calories: 80 Total Fat:
Saturated Fat: 0g
Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol:
Total Carbohydrate: 19g
Dietary Fiber: 6g
Total Sugars: 2g
Added Sugars: 0g
Vitamin D: 1mcg
Ingredients:Lima Bean, Green Lentil, Barley, Carrot, Leek, Shiitake Mushroom, Paprika, Bay Leaf, Parsley, Thyme